Coming to the other day, I watched as the bottle rose and fell with the wave, up and down, up and down, up and …as I began to doze off, I happened to notice the label. Who would have tossed a corked half bottle of what looked like wine into our pristine Pacific ocean I wondered? Although we are surrounded by vineyards, 9 to the south, 8 to the north and 15 to the west, this bottle was obviously not one of my discards. After all it still had wine in it…. and carried an unfamiliar label – sake?
Later that evening I was woken by my energetic better half as she returned. “Did you happen to notice the surges on the beach this afternoon”, she gushed. Surges… I have never heard them called that. This sounded like one of those loaded questions? “No dear” I ventured cautiously.
Well what followed as I drifted in and out of her earnest account seemed pretty unlikely, so to level the playing field as it were, I poured her a glass from the bottle I’d picked up earlier. Pretty sweet, we both agreed, yes even “sweet as” remembering some of our Keyweeization. And so we drift along content in our paradise of vineyards that…. touch wood..en house…. remains blissfully free of the horrors of the rest of the world.
There’s even talk amongst the locals that horror of horrors we might have to keep to one side of the road as we drive into town.
No comments:
Post a Comment